Article 1 - Name and Jurisdiction
- (a) The name of this association shall be NEW WESTMINSTER
DOWNTOWN RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION.
- (b) Membership shall be open to any person residing in the
downtown area of New Westminster, including owners in fee simple or strata
title, renters or leaseholders of residential property.
- (c) The downtown area shall be the area indicated as area
"D" on the attached map, bounded on the north by Royal Avenue, on the south
by the Fraser River, and on the east by McBride Boulevard.
Article 2 - Objectives
The objectives of the Association are:
- (a) To improve the quality of life in the downtown neighbourhood.
- (b) To provide a forum for discussion of matters of concern
to downtown residents, such matters to include but not limited to: crime,
nuisance behaviour, traffic, noise, and personal safety.
- (c) To liaise with the city, the police service, the health
department, and other organizations to achieve our mutual goals of a clean,
quiet and crime-free neighbourhood.
Article 3 - Membership Meetings
- (a) Regular membership meetings shall be held four times
each year at a time and place to be decided by the membership at the previous meeting, or, failing that, at a time and place set the by the Directors.
- (b) An annual general meeting shall be held once per year
in September or as shall be otherwise decided by the general membership.
- (c) A quorum for the transaction of business at any regular
or annual general meeting shall be 20% of the total paid membership.
- (d) A majority vote shall be 51% or greater of the membership
present at a regular or annual general meeting, and shall be indicated by
a show of hands, or if there is any doubt as to the vote count then a secret
ballot shall be used to determine the vote count.
- (e) Board of Directors shall meet one month prior to each
regular meeting, or as necessary, at the call of the Chair.
- (f) Membership dues shall be $5.00 per year or as from time
to time may be decided by a majority vote of the paid membership.
- (g) Attendance at meetings shall be open to all residents
of the downtown New Westminster area, invited guests and resource persons.
- (h) Voting privileges shall be limited to paid members.
Article 4 - Board of Directors
- (a) The Board of Directors shall consist of six elected
Directors, or such numbers as shall from time to time be elected by the membership.
- (b) The Directors shall elect a Chairperson, Communications
Director, Editor of the newsletter, and such other positions as may be deemed necessary.
Article 5 - Election of Directors
- (a) Nominations and election of Directors shall take place
at the annual general meeting.
- (b) Directors must be paid members of the association and
must consent to their nomination as a Director.
- (c) The term of office for all Directors shall be one year
with the option of standing for election to further one year terms.
Article 6 - Committees
- (a) Committees as may be from time to time required, shall
be elected at a regular meeting or, failing that, appointed by the Directors.
- (b) One Director may be appointed to sit on each committee
Article 7 - Rules of Order
- (a) Meetings shall be conducted in accordance with basic
principle of Canadian parliamentary procedures.
- (b) Should any procedural questions arise, Robert's Rules
of Order shall apply.
Article 8 - Records
- (a) A record of paid membership shall be kept and made
available to the membership at regular meetings.
- (b) A record of all monies received and amounts paid out
shall be kept and made available to the membership at regular meetings.
Article 9 - Amendments
- (a) These by-laws shall not be amended, added to or suspended,
except by a majority vote of the paid membership.
- (a) A banking account shall be maintained by the Association
in the name of Downtown Residents Association.
- (b) Signing officers for the said banking account shall
be any two of the three Directors so designated by the Board of Directors
as from time to time shall be deemed necessary.